Agora Inc. in Historic Mount Vernon, Baltimore, Md.
Agora was founded in 1979 and made its first home in Baltimore at 824 East Baltimore Street. Bill Bonner purchased the building there in cooperation with Baltimore’s active revitalization effort for the areas around the Inner Harbor.
In 1994, Agora made the move to historic Mount Vernon at 14 West Mount Vernon Place. And we’ve only grown from there. Today Agora occupies nine buildings in the Mount Vernon area.
It is no accident that Agora’s companies are housed in a collection of stately 19th century Baltimore mansions. These buildings represent, in architecture, what Agora’s companies try to achieve in publishing — applying more than 2,000 years of evolved wisdom to the current situation. Wealthy Baltimore entrepreneurs of the 19th century roamed the world in search of architectural opportunity. What they brought back with them were the best architectural designs of the day…those that had their roots in ancient Greece, improved and elaborated upon over many centuries. Naturally, they wanted these designs in their own homes.
Agora’s companies are pleased to be able to help maintain these treasures and keep this neighborhood vigorous and full of young people, new ideas and lively commerce.
Agora has also adopted the “Boy on the Turtle” fountain on the square in front of 14 West Mount Vernon Place as part of a national effort to preserve outdoor statuary. Agora’s companies are active with the Mount Vernon-Belvedere Association, Mt. Vernon Cultural District and Baltimore Heritage. We take every opportunity to champion the cause of historic preservation in Baltimore.
Throughout the years, Bill Bonner and Agora have received many preservation awards. The most recent came in 2006, for the restoration of the Winans mansion at 1217 St. Paul Street.
Please take a tour of each of Agora’s buildings by clicking on the links in the right hand column.