105 West Monument Street
The stately brownstone mansion located at 105 West Monument Street was designed by Louis Lang and built by Augustus H. Albert in 1859.
In 1867 – less than 10 years after it was built – it became the Mount Vernon Hotel. Its rooms could accommodate 75 guests; single rooms rented for $1 a night and suites rented for $10. It is reported to have been one of the leading hotels of the day. Acclaimed actor Edwin Booth – brother of John Wilkes Booth – stayed here when he was performing in Baltimore.
The hotel closed in 1902 and the building was sold to Waldo Newcomer. He paid $100,000 for the mansion and immediately began extensive renovations. Major additions included Tiffany stained glass windows and walnut paneling. In 1936, the building was sold to the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland for $22,500 – less than what Mr. Newcomer had spent on the renovations.
The diocese used the building as its headquarters until 1994. It converted Mr. Newcomer’s library to a chapel with an altar and a baptismal font.